Saturday, February 20, 2010

not the Jr Prom

Noah went to his first dance Friday night. For months we've talked about it, me urging him to go, him adamantly saying no. As the time drew closer, he decided he would give it a try. I picked on him, asking if he had plans to ask a girl. He said no but that a few had asked him, to which he declined. At one point though (that he told me about) he actually had a date but they changed their minds before the big day.

The week of the dance I asked him if he'd like to have a new outfit or what he planned to wear. He looked at me, as if I had three heads, and said, "Mom, it is just a 4th grade dance - not the Jr Prom!" ...excuse me! :)

In the end, I did talk him into buying a new shirt. He was insistent on wearing blue jeans and tennis shoes though. I think our compromise was pretty cute.
Noah left the house wearing one of his hats, which he looks adorable in. As we drove into the school though he chickened out, saying he didn't want to be the only guy with a hat.
I sat in the parking lot for a few minutes, watching other boys strut to the door and little girls with hair bows and high heels enter excitedly and wished I could hide away somewhere in the gym. How I would've loved to watch him from a distance!
He didn't say much about the dance when I picked him up, other than that he had a good time. And he said he stuck to his guns about dancing...or rather NOT dancing! I just wonder how many girls stood near him wishing he'd ask.


No comments:

Post a Comment