Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Summer Va-ca

Due to summer being so short, so hot, and trying to watch our budget, we elected not to have a "true vacation" this year but rather short, mini activities and day trips.

Tim took a long weekend and we made plans to go to Cave City for a couple days and spend the night in a hotel. Of all the things we did, I think the hotel was among Noah's favorite. Not sure why a hotel is so exciting to a kid!

It might not be exotic or sound like a exciting vacation but we really enjoyed ourselves. More than anything it was a chance to relax and spend time together. The week isn't over but I wanted to capture some moments and memories thus far...

5 a.m. wake-up call...
Noah set his cell phone for 5 am (why I don't know) on the morning we were to leave, got ready and went back to bed. When I came into his room, he immediately woke up and was ready to burst out the door. I said I hoped he had the same enthusiasm next week for the first day of school!

Kentucky Down Under...
The weather was the only downside of this stop, as the heat & humidity made it a difficult walk.


Noah loved the interaction at this zoo with both the animals and the staff. He had a bird on his head, petted a kangaroo, milked a cow and played a didgeridoo. We hadn't been there since he was maybe 2 and I was glad we returned.


Lunch was spent at Cracker Barrel and the only reason I mention it is because Noah found a harmonica he just had to have. It was the best $6 we ever spent on him! He had more fun with this harmonica on the trip...it was always either in his pocket or on his mouth. I hope he sticks with it and he seems to have a natural talent for it.

We had intended to go to Dinosaur World after lunch but the heat zapped us quicker than we thought. Noah called them to see how long it took to go through and upon hanging up, he said, "My vote is hotel. bed. pool!" ...His vacation, His wishes!

We did sneak in a trip to Big Mike's Mystery House that we found searching online. It is a little hole in the wall place on the way to Mammoth Cave. Took maybe 10 minutes to go but Noah loved it. I won't ruin the surprise of what all is in there...kind of one those places you have to see to appreciate. Best part was, it was free with an internet coupon!

Little embarrassing beginning to our hotel stay...
I had pricelined the hotel (saved 60% I might add!) and got mixed up on the location. We pulled into the Holiday Inn, loaded up a luggage cart and went to the desk to check-in. My travel fears came to life when they didn't have our reservation. She asked for the confirmation number and I got my handy dandy IPhone out to retrieve it. I gave it to her and she informed us that the number was too long...a little more searching and I realized we were at the wrong hotel! Oh well, it gave us practice loading the luggage cart and a laugh!

We ended that night with some pool time, followed by PJs and Pizza in our room! Noah also enjoyed "camping out" on his sleeper sofa. Again, it's the simple things kids love.

We snuck in some school shopping.....stopped for appetizers in the middle of the day.....saw an albino squirrel on the front of a barn (neat!)....and spent an afternoon in a fully restored L&N train, which reminded me of my Grandpa McGuffin, who retired from the railroad.

I'm sure I'm missing some great moments but that pretty much covers it. Simple. Sweet. Full of good food, family and fun. Can't think of a better way to spend a vacation!....or stay-cation!

No comments:

Post a Comment