Thursday, April 23, 2009

The cheap tooth fairy

Noah woke me last night, yelling, "Mom! Dad! come here!" It was after 11 and I ran to his room, heart beating with fear. He was in the bathroom and bleeding - and for an instant I was filled with terror. Thankfully, it was just a lost tooth!

He went to bed, happy with his achievement, and filled with the boyish excitement of looking at a bloody tooth. I went back to bed, grateful he was ok, and reminding myself to sneak back in with money before he woke up in the morning.

Of course, it didn't happen. And I didn't remember until the alarm went off and I headed for his room. I realized it in time to slip a dollar out of Tim's wallet and under his pillow before he awoke.

He is normally slow to wake but this morning he instantly reached under his pillow, ready for the gift. Instantly his frowning face moaned in disgust, "Only a dollar?! Geez, I get a dollar for a baby tooth!"

To which I quickly corrected and reminded him that all teeth he looses are baby teeth and that he should be grateful for any amount the tooth fairy gave. (After all we're in a recession!)

As we sat at the table, waiting for the bus, I could tell something was on his mind. He told me that he was worried about eating at school and guessed he'd be hungry for a few days. I explained that he could still eat, he'd just have to be careful as the gum would be tender. "Yes, Mom, I know that but I lost my tooth on my eating side," he said. Chuckling, I asked him what that meant. Apparently, he has one side of his mouth he uses for food and the other for candy and gum. This loss just messed everything up!

I've laughed all day, wondering how he made he through lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment